Friday, May 17, 2013

15th Street Garden Cookout

Another highlight of my day on Sunday May 12th was a cookout with my fellow gardeners at The 15th Street Garden. 


I am extremely fortunate to be able to have a garden plot and even more so to have one so close to my loft.  Gardening has been something I have enjoyed for the past 13 or 14 years.  It nourishes my soul, it's fun, it's a good reason to get outside and enjoy, and it is something to share with others.  As a gardener you always meet other people that enjoy it like you do, but each of them are different and you learn from them.  Gardeners are wonderful people...they encourage, share, and motivate. 



The 15th Street Garden is an asset to SoMa and a personal asset to my life here.  I was introduced to Sarah Smith by my landlord Jill Judy.  Sarah is a key person in the development of the garden and its organization.  And she brought some great napkins to the cookout...green seersucker with dogs on them.  We talk and visit, we cultivate, we weed, and we harvest.  We cultivate and we harvest a sense of community from that garden soil. 


Sunday was a treat.  It was a treat to meet other gardeners that I hadn't met yet.  And it was a treat to eat their food, drink beer with them, and hear their stories.  I had a Vidalia onion dip that I couldn't keep my chips out of...and neither could any of us.  One couple brought their grill and we all got to put things on the grill that we had brought.  I enjoyed a strawberry-mint water so much!  My contribution to the potluck was a pound cake and strawberries infused with a rose syrup.  As it turns out, pound cake is good grilled!  I have to apologize for not taking more photos of my fellow gardeners and their dishes.  I just focused too much on talking and eating which is exactly what a cookout is for!  Right?









All photography rights shared by Brian Kelley/Imagine Photography

No comments: