Thursday, May 23, 2013

Great Sunday in SoMa

As with all of my Sundays living in SoMa thus far, Sunday May 19th was a great Sunday.  I've come to look forward to The Bernice Garden Farmer's Market each week.  But the 19th was the first dinner party at my new place and I was on a mission to add some local produce! 






And this past Sunday was the return of Mylo Coffee Co from a thankfully short one week break.  Is it the coffee or the pastry I love, or is it getting to talk about them?  This Sunday I was the very first person in line!  It was a goal to finally get a pear-filled kouign amann and I did.  They always sell out in the first 10 minutes or so.  After I got out of church I came back through the market on my way home and got to stop for a visit.  The line at the booth was gone but so was the food, except for a sample of the overnight bread.  Very good indeed. 



Laughing Stock Farm has a booth I always enjoy.  Sunday I was looking for things to add to the menu for dinner that night and was intrigued by their beets which sadly I don't remember the variety.  They were suppose to be sweeter and they were striped on the inside!  So in my bag they went. 






Dinner was great that night.  Great company and a menu that came together to work with the warm bit of weather we had that weekend.  I served my hummus and kalamatta olives.  First course was a chilled pea soup, followed with a salad for dinner.  The salad had roast chicken, organic salad mix, goat cheese from Kent Walker Artisan Cheese, pickled beets, poached pears, and glazed pecans.  The dressing was based with the vinegar from the beets.  Dessert was a strawberry tart.  I glazed the tart shell with chocolate ganache before filling it with orange pastry cream. 



Yeah, Sunday was a good day.  But they always are here in SoMa!

All photography rights shared by Brian Kelley/Imagine Photography

No comments: