Monday, May 13, 2013

1st Annual Strawberry Fest at The Bernice Garden

Sunday May 12th 2013 was some kind of awesome day!



First of all it was Mother's Day and I got to spend it with my Mom, showing her around my new neighborhood SoMa!  And Sunday means The Bernice Garden Farmers' Market of course. 








But we also had the 1st Annual Strawberry Fest at The Bernice Garden!  It was a great event and the turnout was wonderful due to the fantastic weather we had and that it was also Mother's Day.  In addition, my fellow gardeners and I at The 15th Street Garden had a cookout later in the afternoon.  That will get its own post. 

 

 

 
I have loved strawberries ever since I was a very little boy and was just beginning to learn to talk.  My family had gotten a new fridge and there were strawberries in it that I was excited to show to family members that had come over for some type of get together.  I would lead them by the hand to the fridge, open the door, and say "staw-beh" or something like that.  Of course I remember none of this and am recounting this story that my mother has always enjoyed telling.  So, you can see that I have always been a fan of that beautiful red orb of magic we call a strawberry!


Of course a strawberry fest wouldn't be complete without strawberries and there were many vendors to choose from.  One that has become a favorite week after week during this year's strawberry season has been Barnhill Orchards.  Theirs are perfect examples and taste like a strawberry outta taste!



There were our vendors that we have come to depend on each Sunday, but Boulevard Bread was setup with all sorts of strawberry-related treats.  I wanted to just get one of everything!  This was good because Mylo wasn't there due to an out of town graduation.  Mylo we anxiously await your return!!



 

In addition to all the great vendors there were activities for the kids to enjoy! 



I am sure this event will be a repeat.  My friend Sarah Smith that I garden with at The 15th Street Garden was one of the volunteers and I thank her for the dedication to put on such a wonderful event.  Thank you Sarah!!

 
All photography rights shared by Brian Kelley/Imagine Photography

No comments: