Sunday, April 14, 2013

3rd Annual Plant and Poultry Swap at The Bernice Garden

Saturday April 13th was a great day for the 3rd Annual Plant and Poultry Swap!



 


 It was a much anticipated event for so many people that love to garden and keep poultry.  I remember the excitement as a child of going with my grandfather to Shell-Ross Seed store on Ohio Street in Pine Bluff to get the seeds for his garden.  I can still remember the smell and those brown paper bags with magic in them.  Growing your own veggies and herbs has always had a place in my heart and it's such a great thing to see people that are connected to that. 

There were numerous vendors selling herbs, heirloom veggies, chickens and chicks, and related items. 
 




 
 
 
 

One thing I really enjoyed was seeing organizations like The Dunbar Community Garden Project there selling plants.  They also had some of their goats down in front of The Green Corner Store!  I thoroughly enjoyed one of the volunteers, that I dubbed "the Bubble Lady," painting faces and blowing bubbles with this magical blower that I would have loved as a child.  Ok, I still want one even as an adult!





Music was provided by Anna Horton and Joel Ludford of Handmade Moments.  Anna shared with me that they are having an album release on April 26th at  The Afterthought. 



Another group selling plants was the UALR Campus Garden.  Their plants looked great, but I was really intrigued by their seed balls...clay balls filled with native plant seeds that allow the plants food as they germinate and get on their feet.  Maybe this has been around forever but I thought they were really cool and new!

 


 

Two of my treats that I picked up were a baby lettuce plant and a block of wood with a stamped logo from Pulaski Heights Elementary Garden.  I enjoyed speaking with volunteers that have the cherished task of encouraging the knowledge and love of gardening with kids at the school.  One of them is known as Mr. Wills, who I am sure is much looked up to there.  The blocks of wood and the stamp were there just as a fun project for kids at the swap, but I wanted one as a memento and when I insisted on making the $3 donation they were accepting I was given a baby lettuce plant as well.  :)  I am looking forward to a new batch of t-shirts with the logo on it!

 




Boulevard Bread was there serving delicious plate lunches.  I am sorry to say I didn't get a photo because it was so damn good that I just ate every bite before it occurred to me to get a photo.  Next time!

It is just another reason that we love The Bernice Garden!  Thank you Anita Davis for being the catalyst for so much wonderful energy!  It was a pleasure to meet you!

Photos:  all rights shared by Brian Kelley/Imagine Photography

No comments: