Monday, April 8, 2013

A Day With the Dirt--15th Street Garden




One of the big draws for me to moving to SoMa was that I could live in a loft but still have a space to garden.  Growing vegetables, herbs, and cut flowers is a big part of me and even though I was glad to be giving up a yard I didn't want to give up gardening.  When I had first met with Jill Judy that day to look at spaces in SoMa she had shown me the 15th Street Garden.  A community garden where other apartment dwellers or even people that just wanted more room or a cool place to meet and talk with other gardeners, it was a huge draw for me.  At that time there were no spots available, but Sarah Smith the coordinator there put me on the waiting list.  A plot came open Easter Sunday weekend, sort of.
 
It was at the back, with some afternoon shade and wasn't as enviable as some of the others but to me it was like a slice of heaven...dirt I could grow things in!  It wasn't even a real plot, but I took it on.  Last week I loaded up my tiller in my VW hatchback and went down to 15th Street to get it ready to plant.  With herbs and veggies from BJ's in Sherwood I planted on one of the most beautiful days we have had this year. 

My plot now has tomatoes, jalapenos, banana peppers, Japanese eggplant, tomatillos, basil, parsley, thyme, mint, lettuce, marigolds, and zinnia seeds sowed.  As the weather changes so will the plantings. 









What an awesome thing to be able to do...have a great space to live and garden.  Everyone I have met that has a space there has just been incredible.  Another thing I enjoy is that the garden attracts people as they pass by and they stop to visit, exchange ideas, ask questions, and just enjoy the day.

No comments: