Friday, April 26, 2013

My first weekend living in SoMa was great, busy, and a treat

So Saturday April 20th was moving day for me!  It was nice to have the help of movers to bring the heavy stuff, but let me tell you they got off easy.  The hard part has been all the boxes of life that come along with moving.  You know, you've moved before!  It was a great night to sleep in my new space and I slept like a rock, waking up to a new day on Sunday.

Sunday has become probably my favorite day of the week because it means The Bernice Garden Farmer's Market and great fun!




 I have come to count on seeing familiar faces in the short time I have been going there, bringing more of a sense of community than I have ever experienced.  Liz and Ryan with Bussey-Scott Urban Garden are there with their pottery and delicious home-grown produce.  LOVED my lettuce mix I got that day and it paired perfectly with some local strawberries I found there.  For my dinner that night I had a salad with the organic salad greens, sliced strawberries, balsamic vinaigrette, glazed pecans, and feta cheese.  PERFECT!


 
I learned my lesson the previous Sunday that you snooze you lose if you aren't the early bird with Mylo Coffe Co.  The line starts forming before they even get there I am convinced.  Ok maybe I am exaggerating a bit but trust me THEY SELL OUT and I don't mean 10 minutes till 2, when the market ends but much earlier.  So you have the tip!



 I had to try their coffee which they are of course named for.  It's brewed with nearly boiling water over fresh ground coffee in these great little conical cups.  It lacks the bitterness of most coffee and is certainly delicious.  I take mine black! 


Once again I jumped into my eating before the photography part of my brain could take over and didn't get a shot of my chocolate filled kouign amann .  Human urges are strong, ok?  They specialize in laminated doughs, aka croissant pastry, and each and every thing is delicious.  Both savory and sweet baked goods are stars with Mylo!  I did manage to get a shot of these little brulee pastries topped with chopped pistachios.  Yes, crème brulee in a crust as if life could get any better, there it is!


On my walk home I stopped to admire this Lady Banks rose that was spilling over a fence at one of the gorgeous old homes that have become a beloved aspect of my new neighborhood.  I love them and they seem like genteel old Southern ladies that smile at us as we pass...happy that once again this neighborhood is vibrant, loved, and being enjoyed.  They never left.  They just kept waiting for us.



Come down for this Sunday's Farmer's Market 10-2 and enjoy one of the many reasons that SoMa is such a great Little Rock neighborhood!  Hope to see you there :)

No comments: