Friday, April 12, 2013

Food Truck Thursday at The Bernice Garden

Tonight was my first food truck night at The Bernice Garden and I had a wonderful time.  The second Thursday of the month is a food truck event at The Bernice Garden on the corner of South Main (SoMa) and Daisy Bates.  Last month I got there just as it was ending and I was determined to make the next one.

That Thursday night I had decided to go to the neighborhood I was going to be moving to.  I had just signed my lease and would have to wait what seemed like an eternity to get into my space.  Anxious to see what the area was like around that time I went down Main street.  When I got to The Bernice Garden I saw many many people there and out in front of The Green Corner Store.  I had no clue what was going on, but once I found out it made me even more certain that I had selected a great area to move to.  You see, I love food and any neighborhood that has a night of any kind devoted to food is my kind of neighborhood!

Great weather prompted what seemed like a good turnout and lines formed early


The event is from 5-8pm so I got there just a bit after 5, having gone by my loft to check it out.  I had just gotten my keys!  Camera in hand I walked around taking in the offerings of what was on the menu so to speak.  My friend Stephanie Shepherd joined me in the food quest!  BBQ, Asian, Vegan/Vegetarian, Baked goods, Pizza, Hot Dogs, Popsicles, and Ice Cream when you factor in the Green Corner Store.  Mouth watering, I planned out my menu. 

I started off with a margherita pizza from Pizzeria Santa Lucia.  I remembered reading that they sold out last month quite early so I wasted no time placing my order.  The pizza was delicious and I loved the crust particularly.  In speaking with Georges Launet, who was manning the wood-fired pizza oven, I found out that their oven is made in Italy then shipped to Colorado and the trailer is then built around it.  Way cool!  They had dough for 50 pizzas tonight and sold out!







For my next course I tried out kBird, a Thai food truck.  We had their garden rolls with peanut sauce and then the fresh mango served on top of coconut sticky rice.  I could have had 2nd's and 3rd's!  I got so carried away that I almost forgot to take photos of what I was eating. 





For dessert we chose a red velvet cupcake from The Sugar Shack.  Easily the most colorful and cutest food truck, I like the choice of offerings from cupcakes, mini bundt cakes, to gluten free choices.  Word to the wise...don't wait to get dessert until after dinner.  I wanted some of their gooey bars and they had sold out!  But I did enjoy the cupcake and fortunately Stephanie only wanted a small bite.  :)




It was cool but a great break from the muggy stormy weather we had the day before.  I can't wait until May 9th for the next one!  Hope to see you there!

No comments: